Monday, May 26, 2008

Ill

The hubby had chicken the other night. I ate my usual bowl of cereal, which I'm glad I did. My poor baby however suffered horribly as result of what we're guessing to be a bad case of chicken.

He woke up at 2:30 am to empty his stomach of all contents. This woke me up too, but at least I wasn't in any physical pain as he was. I felt terrible for him, but there wasn't anything I could do. He returned to bed and tossed and turned. He remained in bed pretty much all day yesterday and all night.

I tried to be a good wife, bought him so bananas, juice and other "stomach friendly" foods. I made him tea, various light meals, and tried to comfort him, but I'm just not cut out for this type of thing. I can be a "good wife" for about 24 hours, which thankfully, is just about how long this lasted. Any more than that and I doubt we'd be on talking-terms. He's much better at this sort of thing than I am.

My mother wasn't like TV-moms. When I was sick as a child (all two times it happened - pink eye in the second grade and chicken pox in the seventh grade) she gave me the prescribed drugs and pretty much left me alone on the couch to watch TV. Brought me a little food here and there. I'd have rather been at school! Being sick and staying home was worse punishment than being sick at school.

No, there weren't any soft murmurings about "hope you feel better soon. Is there anything I can get you or do? Would you like to play a game." Nothing, just a cold shoulder and if I was lucky, "you're going to school tomorrow whether you want to or not." Are you kidding? I WANT to go to school!

So, I guess the cycle continues. I'm nice to the hubby for about a day trying hard to be like the TV-moms, kind, gentle, caring... then I revert back to what I know and just go about my business hoping like crazy he'll be all better soon.

I realize when we were married I said something to the effect of, "...in sickness and in health..." but really, who ever thinks about the "sickness" part? Not me, I rarely get sick and fortunately the hubby rarely gets sick. If we keep it that way, we'll be fine. But, there are things out of our control and that worries me.

I hope we're never tested, I hope we never have to deal with a true sickness. I doubt I'd be any good at it. Goodness, I can't even imagine being a mother?! As my poor hubby was retching the other night all I could think was, "thankfully we don't have children!" Kids get sick ALL the freaking time! They cry, they have many, many needs. More than I think I could ever fulfill. I'd be a horrible mother. "Quit your crying or I'll give you something to cry about!" "So you have a big pink, puffy eye, want a matching set?" Yep, I'd be an awful parent. I best not ever venture down that road!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Becky,
It sounds like you did a great job of offering your love and support while Erik was sick. I think you are way too hard on yourself! I remember you being a very nurturing soul in my life, someone who has always been supportive and offered compassion anytime I am a little down.
Caregiving takes a lot out of you emotionally, and everyone has a limit to how long they can offer it without growing a bit tired. I know that what you offered for Erik probably made him feel so loved! You two are both so special! Just think... despite not having a very nurturing Mom, you have managed to create a new legacy in your own family! You should be very proud of yourself for this!