Sunday, February 26, 2006

Montessori - The Science Behind the Genius

I'm currently reading Montessori - The Science Behind the Genius by Angeline Stoll Lillard. It's extremely interesting and very thought provoking. It's a method or approach to schooling children unlike what is commonly taught/forced upon kids in most U.S. schools.

The book discusses Eight Principles of Montessori Education:
  1. Movement and cognition are closely entwined, and movement can enhance thinking and learning;
  2. Learning and well-being are improved when people have a sense of control over their lives;
  3. People learn better when they are interested in what they are learning;
  4. Tying extrinsic rewards to an activity, like money for reading or high grades for tests, negatively impacts motivation to engage in that activity when the reward is withdrawn;
  5. Collaborative arrangements can be very conducive to learning;
  6. Learning situated in meaningful contexts is often deeper and richer than learning in abstract contexts;
  7. Particular forms of adult interaction are associated with more optimal child outcomes; and
  8. Order in the environment is beneficial to children.

You might be thinking, "seems like common sense." You're right, it is. The book of course covers each of these principles in detail and explains how the Montessori approach to teaching/learning is better for children than traditional schooling.

How I wish I could have attended such an institution, but since I did not, I instead learned to memorize a bunch of crap and dang if I remember any of it.. According to my report cards I achieved good grades (mainly A's and B's). But, what good are those grades if I am not able to apply what I "learned." What does an "A" mean if I can't do moderate or even simple calculations without the use of a calculator or computer?

If I ever have children they will definitely attend a Montessori school. As far as I am concerned a "traditional" school format is simply not an option. I suggest to anyone with small children aged 3 - 5 to seriously consider Montessori for their little ones.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

I know several people that went to Montessori schools, and they are all highly intellegent adults. It seems like a great program. I think that it helps to really comfort children while they learn,

Anonymous said...

This book sounds very interesting! Darryl & I had always agreed on home schooling our child(ren), but worried that social interaction with others would become an issue. This sounds like it could be a great alternative. I think I'll be making a trip to the library tomorrow.

Becky said...

Gretchen, the same issues you face in NW are similar to those in the US must contend with. I have a friend who owns and runs a Montessori school and she mentioned that as you noted, "Anyone can be called a Montessori, there is no registar/external school structre." This can be very misleading! As with anything, one must do their own research to determine what is truly what it claims to be. I did not know that NW does not allow cross creditation. Thank you for sharing Gretchen!

Anonymous said...

The TL was a Montessori trained pre-schooler.

Anonymous said...

This is indeed an excellent synthesis of why Montessori's methods work today -- because they were based on scientific observation then and back up by modern psychological research today. If you want to read the first chapter of the book, it can be found on the author's Montessori Science website