Thursday, July 27, 2006

I Love Palmdale

I didn't think such words would ever escape my lips... but there they are: I love Palmdale. So far so good. It's a tad hot, but aside from that it's really beautiful here. Ritter Ridge just makes me so happy when I gaze at it. I love all the ripples and folds of the landscape, dotted with desert brush. Spectacular!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've also joined the High Desert Toastmasters International, Club 3647, Area 4, Division A, District 33. Such an official name. I feel like I'm an undercover agent or something?! Tonight I attended my second meeting. Right now the group is small 7-8 people (including me). Usually more folks attend but the summer is a busy time for many people.

I'm excited about meeting more new people and working on my public speaking skills. I'm surprised by how comfortable I feel speaking and yet how nervous I get when doing it. It's very bizarre, but a lot of fun. The materials I was provided by Toastmasters say that the more I speak the better I'll get at it. I'm sure that's true, that's typically how it works. It'll be exciting to learn and grow.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to speak as eloquently as the hubby. I love when he talks or "practices" what he'll say in court. He's got his act together. His thoughts and ideas just flow in such an organized manner. I can organize any physical space, files, etc. but my words and thoughts... not yet. Hopefully soon. Is it soon yet? I'm ready!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Palmdale City Library. Today I applied for my library card and got it. I feel like a real city of Palmdale resident. I even checked out 7 books! The library is located next to where the Toastmasters meetings are held, very convenient.

When I was just a lass me mum would take my brother and I to the library at least once a week, sometimes several times a week. Libraries have always held a special place in my heart. So many fabulous memories were created at the library. Mom would let my brother and I each select several books and she of course would check out a bunch herself. How she carried them all home, goodness, she must have had the strength of Wonder Woman!

When we returned from the library Mom would read the books to us and when we were older we would read to her. The family room had Dad's favorite reclining chair and a little 1970s brown floral loveseat. Mom would sit in the middle with us on either side of her, this helped to keep Zak and I from fighting (well, mostly).

I can't wait to go back to the library next week and to Toastmasters. Of course next week it's official for me as I'll present my first prepared speech. Yikes, wish me luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the speach!!!! Palmdale sounds like heaven on earth! They just opened the new Powell library just down the road from me. I love it!!! I could walk around in a library all day long!

Pamela said...

I'm so excited about the Toastmaster's club! It will be awesome to meet new people, as well as perfecting your speaking skills! You will do great!
It's also awesome to know that you are really pleased with your location. It's just going to get better and better!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting thing to do! Speaking in public can be a bit of an anxious experience. But like Maggie and Pamela, I am sure you will be great at this endeavor. And the high desert will grow on you.

Becky said...

Hey Miss Maggie,
Thanks! I'm not sure if Palmdale is heaven on earth, but I do think it's nice here.

Maryville has an amazing library! You should check it out some time just for fun. It's beautiful and HUGE! You'd love it. So much to see and if you get hungry or thirsty they have a little coffee shop!?!

Becky said...

Thanks Pam, I think you're right, it will just get better and better. So far I'm very pleased with the area and the people. It's wonderful to be surrounded by such diversity again.

Becky said...

Sir Old Man,
It is very exciting and an anxious indeed! I'm looking forward to the day when I'm more excited and less anxious about speaking.

I'm so surprised by how much the high desert is growing on me. I just figured it would be some ugly place that I'd have to get used to. It never occurred to me that I would actually think it was pretty and enjoy living here. Of course it's good thing I packed on all the extra weight in Knoxville or else the winds here might carry me away! Ha!