Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Say what?

This Thursday will mark my 3rd week of Toastmasters. I'm looking forward to it. It's a great group of people and the meetings give me lots of wonderful opportunities to learn and grow.

Last week I gave my first "official" speech. It went well. I spoke a bit too fast... which didn't surprise me in the least! But I seemed to do most other things well.

Apparently I have good facial expression, body language and hand gestures. Now if I can only figure out how to s l o w i t o n d o w n. I'm sure it'll come with time.

Today I attended a different club's meeting, just to check it out. It was run very similar to the Thursday night group. And being summer it seems to be difficult to get everyone to show up.

I helped out which was nifty since the "job" I had today is the same one I'll be doing Thursday night. Good practice! I was the Timer. My responsibilities included timing each speaker and giving them a heads up when a certain amount of time had expired. The speakers like to know how much time they have left, hence the purpose of the "timer" position. Each speaker has a time limit and if they do not make it or continue speaking beyond the limit they are disqualified. For each speech the audience votes on their favorite and the winner is awarded a ribbon. Therefore each speaker tries hard to not be disqualified - it is a competition after all.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

It sounds so cool! Hey I got your lovely card in the mail! Thank you for the McKay's card. Did you make that card with me? I can't remember.

Becky said...

Glad you liked the card... but I don't remember which one I sent you. What does it look like? I may have made it with you... if not, you were probably my inspiration for it. When making cards and such I like to think of someone I care about to inspire me to create something wonderful.