Thursday, April 30, 2009

Orange Chocolate Almond Cupcakes


Tonight Kelly and I made Orange Chocolate Almond Cupcakes. We made 2 dozen regular sized cupcakes and just under 2 dozen minis. They're quite interesting. Chocolate cake with an orange and almond butter cream frosting. The reason for the almond in the frosting was to cut down on the sugar, and it worked. Plus, it also gave the frosting a lovely speckled look. The almonds were basically a powder, so I used a lot of that to off set the powder sugar. The frosting was very rich and just a little sweet. I didn't have any oranges so I zested grapefruit to add a little kick to the frosting. The cupcakes have a chocolate covered orange candy piece inside (from Trader Joe's of course!).

3 comments:

Burt Likko said...

Delicious. They're sweet but not too sweet; I may eat more of these than I usually do.

You and Kelly made something special tonight!

Arnie said...

I've been following your baking adventures with great anticipation of the Memorial Day weekend. Do your cupcakes travel well?

Becky said...

I don't know how well they will travel, guess we'll find out. However, if a kitchen is available I could make a batch of fresh cupcakes on-site! We could have a cupcake challenge, like "Iron Cupcake" - which actually is already happening in Milwuakee, WI!!! Woo hoo, those crazy cheese heads know where it's at!