Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Toffee crunch, malted milk ball, and marshmallow cupcakes, oh my!



This is Kelly! She's fun, as if you couldn't tell from the photo?! Anyway, NO that's NOT her glass of wine in the picture, it's her hubby's. She doesn't drink. Guess that means more booze for the rest of us.

Anyway, last week Kelly and I made three different types of cupcakes: toffee, malted milk ball, and marshmallow. I forgot to take pictures, so no photos of these bad boys, I apologize. They were quite good though.

The toffee cupcakes were minis, and the toffee and chocolate chips were mixed into the batter. It of course all sunk to the bottom of the cupcake, but that's ok, they were good, good, good! The frosting was a rich butter cream with almond flavoring. These were a hit.

The malted milk ball cupcakes were the regular size. After filling the liners with batter I plunked a malted milk ball into each cupcake. Frosted these fellas with the same almond butter cream frosting and topped with a malted milk ball. Quite yummy. The "baked" malted milk ball tasted great.

The marshmallow cupcakes were, um, interesting. Just like above, placed batter in liners, plopped in marshmallow and baked away. The marshmallow basically blew up in the oven, but fortunately didn't make a mess. When removed, the marshmallows deflated and cooled to become a little crispy on top - in a most wonderful way! But these guys were so sticky I put them into little glass containers then frosted them. They were beautiful and the sweet crunchy flavor imparted by the baked marshmallow was fabulous. I want to try this again, and tweak it a bit. Not sure how to avoid the stickiness of it, perhaps coat the cupcake in coconut? I don't know, I"ll figure something out.

Next time I'll try to remember to photograph them.

I had some left over toffee batter so I made this itty-bitty cake. Technically not a cupcake, but at least you have an idea of what the toffee cupcakes looked like.




No comments: