Monday, December 17, 2007

Ungrateful

The Team Leads at work wanted coffee and pastries for the employees to express gratitude for a "great year." I made all the arrangements, purchased baskets and other decorative items to house the creamer, sugar, hot coco packets, etc. Then, this morning as I was setting it up, some employees just hoovered over me, and even asked "Is it ready yet, can we dig in?" If it WAS ready, would I still be setting things out? Hello! Pay attention people.

Anyway, I realized if I wanted to retain my limbs I best move out of the way. As soon as I did the vultures descended upon the goods. Not a single, "Thanks Beck, it looks great" or "Yum, this is wonderful." Nada, bunch of ingrates. At least they didn't complain about the presentation or the quality of the food and coffee. Ugh.

Since I'm technically an employee, but not on the phones like the others, I do all the behind the scenes stuff (purchase gift cards, food and snacks, decorations, or whatever it is the Team Leads want) so it's easy to feel left out and unappreciated. Sometimes my job is fun and provides many creative outlets. Other times, like today, it can be frustrating. Of course, that would be true of any position. Oh well, such is life.

1 comment:

Arnie said...

People and food at work are very interesting to watch. People and free food, as in "appreciation luncheon", can be amazing. It's true at every work place, with the possible exception of a Krispy Kreme donut shop. It was a wise move to step back and away from the food. btw, the pictures you requested are up.