Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful it's over

One thing I find really odd about Thanksgiving and the upcoming shopping scam of buying a bunch of useless crap for all the people you've ever come into contact with in the last seven months, is dishes.  Yes, yes, I'm back to that.  If you've read the previous post you know I hate washing dishes by hand more than my dogs hate being bathed.  Which is to say I have a very high tolerance for dirty dogs, but yet, not dirty dishes.  Anyway, as usual, I digress.  My point, dishes.  Perhaps you have everyday dishes, fine china passed down for generations or a lovely wedding gift from some distant relative who's name you can never remember, and maybe even "Holiday Dishes".  It's the last bit I'm referring to.  I can understand having everyday plateware that can withstand the abuse of a clumsy husband and/or children.  But "Holiday Dishes"?  Really?  A set of fancy plates, bowls, etc. that are only eaten off of once, twice, or maybe as much as three times in a single year?!  And since these dishes are so special it's terrifying to put food on them, much less take a fork and knife to the delicate surface for fear of scratching, chipping, or marring it in any way.  I'm pretty sure if such an object is damaged in any way it's grounds for divorce, abandonment, or capital punishment, whichever penalty is most horrific.

I find the concept of "Holiday dishes" ridiculous.  Storing a set of such special eating ware that's only worthy of the most special of occasions is just plain silly.  Clearly I don't own any such thing, nor do I care to.  What's the point?  Tradition?  Don't even get me started on that.  Anyway, cupboard and storage space in my home is so scarce the mere of idea of stashing away anything to be used on the rarest of events makes me want to bathe my dogs, which is as likely as me teaching my dogs (or myself for that matter) calculus.  It's not going to happen.  The cups, bowls, plates, silverware, stemware, decanter, etc. that I use everyday are good enough for all the foolish Holidays Hallmark has ever made a card for.  I find every meal, whether it's a dead bird brined to perfection or a hot dog on a stick, to be special.  Food is fabulous and regardless of what it's served on, it's to nourish the body, not induce fear of bodily harm for ruining what it's eaten off.  Besides, these emblematic eating receptacles usually need to be washed by hand, and typically shouldn't even go in the microwave.  How special can it be if the microwave turns it into a Fourth of July spectacle?  And, if I can't place in the dishwasher alongside its lowly cousin, the commonest of eating ware, it's just not worth having.  Make life simple people, get rid of all that extra junk you don't need and find yourself thankful.  Thankful for more room, thankful for less fire hazards cluttering up your life, thankful for what remains.  Less is more and the less you have to wash by hand, the better!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I wouldn't mind eating off of paper plates if that meant having the time to spend with my buddy Becky. I do enjoy certain traditions but feel that they should never get in the way of the more important things like making memories with loved ones, so I'm with you. :)