Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Death and dying

With Aunt Bert's situation being what it is, mom and I write daily about our futures and what may happen as we age, if we become ill, etc. My mom studied to be a mortician and is fascinated with death. I do not share the same level of fascination as my mom, but she and I do openly talk about death and dying, which I think is healthy. It happens. To everyone. Everyday people die. Mom, me, you, no one is exempt from death. I do not fear death or worry about it, nor does my mom. Perhaps because of her attitude towards it I have similar beliefs. But, with regard to such matters I do know that I want a living will. I do not want machines keeping me alive. My mom feels the same way, but does not have a living will (yet - and neither do I) and I hope the day never comes that I have to make such a decision about anyone I love and care about. I hope death comes quickly and painlessly for me and those I love. Watching a love one die takes it toll on both the living and the one leaving life.

I just hope I remember to show Erik how much he means to me and not forget as our daily lives bog us down with timelines, deadlines, responsibilities.... I hope we have adequate arrangements made for the critters. I hope I remember to focus on what is important and not the fact that the house needs dusting (again) or that the floors need sweeping (again) or that the dishes haven't been loaded in the dishwasher, etc. While these are things that need to be done, I just want to strike the right balance and not get overwhelmed by the things that WILL NOT matter when my ashes are blowing in the wind and visiting all the places I never made time to see while still breathing.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Oh super! SPAM... how lucky I am.

Anonymous said...

At least someone is reading your blog!! I must admit that I enjoy reading both your blogs.

Pamela said...

Not many people come to the realizations that you have come to at such a young age. So many never think about death and then take for granted everything that they have. It is important to stop and enjoy the little things as you suggest in your blog. I think that it is the key to a rich and wonderful life. You are wise indeed!