Saturday, October 01, 2005

I Married Mr. Smarty Pants

While attending my Paralegal courses, reading the material, doing the exercises, etc. I find it most helpful to actually discuss the concepts with Erik. He knows this stuff and does it for a living. More importantly he makes it a lot of fun. He'll provide me with a scenario (usually involving pop culture) and I determine what crime or tort was committed, the elements involved and possible defenses. It's actually a lot of fun. Hubby seems to enjoy it as much as me, which I'm very glad for.

I always worry that I'm bugging him and perhaps there's something else he'd rather do. However, when commuting to work he'll ask what topics we're covering in class and then ask questions, clarify issues, etc. I'm so lucky! Unfortunately I am a bit hard on my instructor because she doesn't teach in Erik's style (go figure?!). Her examples aren't as entertaining or as easy to follow as the hubby's. For instance Erik is so fluid and easily and quickly creates little stories like: Erik (aged 8), Stan (aged 7), and Cartman (aged 7) "borrow" Erik's Mom's car keys and go for a joy ride around town and accidentally kill Kenny (those bastards!). Rats of course immediately eat and take away Kenny's body. Erik and friends go to the local car wash and dispose of any evidence. They then return the car and keys.

It was a very effective learning tool for me. Using pop culture is easier than trying to remember person A, person B, and C "borrow" person's A's mom's car.... see, not nearly as soluable or exciting.

I can't believe how much criminal law Erik has retained. He practices civil law which is similar, yet has many distinguishing factors. How he can quickly recall either civil or criminal policies and expound upon them is beyond me. He's just really that smart.

2 comments:

Burt Likko said...

The characters were actually Eric, Stan, Kyle, and Kenny (the South Park kids). I made one of them 7 and the others 8 to cross the arbitrary legal line for criminal culpabilty of juveniles.

And it is a lot of fun to make the hypos for The Wife. It's helpful for me to remember this stuff since I don't know when I'll need to use it next!

Pamela said...

He is definately a man full of wisdom to say the least. You are too.....except for the man part. Hehe.