Friday, January 20, 2006

All done

I survived the UT Paralegal Certificate Program. Wow, what a crazy 17 weeks. I'm just relieved it's finally over. I really didn't know what to expect and worried that I might not be up to it. I was concerned that perhaps this program just wasn't for me.

Before it all began I thought about bailing but Erik persuaded me to at least attend the open house and said, "If you still feel like this isn't right for you at this time then don't enroll." So, we went to the open house together. I wanted to be sure this was a good program and not a waste of my time and moola; I figured Erik does this stuff for a living so he should be able to tell if it's a scam or not. Before the open house even ended I knew this was something I wanted to do.

Several weeks later the classes finally began. At first it was so very exciting. It was all new and different. And each time I felt I was losing my way there was Erik to help me better understand the material. Initially I asked him to edit my memos, various discovery documents, etc. By mid-program I had stopped soliciting him to proof my assignments and continued to receive the same grades on my own.

Some of the assignments were very difficult and time consuming. Trying to find case law, statutes, or any other authority to prove my case isn't as easy as it would seem! However, each time I located something on-point it felt as if I had won an Olympic gold medal. I can't even imagine what it will feel like when I do this in the real world for a real client's case.

I think what surpised me most though was all the support I received from family and friends throughout the course and upon graduating. I received a beautiful bouquet of red roses from my second parents (Arnie and Mary). My folks had a pendant re-set for me. Co-workers attended the ceremony (which was a total surprise!). It's just been wonderful, thank you all.

It's crazy to think that I didn't even want to go to the graduation. I just don't 'do' graduations. I hate ceremonies, but I'm glad Erik and I attended this one as it proved fruitful for the hubby. He was offered the opportunity to teach the Torts portion of the course.

I guess we both got more out of this program than either of us could have anticipated.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Great Job Becky! Congratulations my friend!