Saturday, March 11, 2006

WOW

Today I visited the New Horizon Montessori School that is run by some friends. What an incredible experience. I'm still reading Montessori, The Science Behind The Genius (it's hard for me to just read it as I get so mad at how our current schooling institutions are run)... anyway, all the various tools and materials (like the Pink Tower, the Brown Stair, the Gold Beads, etc.) that the book discusses I got to see and touch. I saw some of the work these children are doing and I was amazed.

There is a child who wants to work on molecules next year when she begins kindergarten?! MOLECULES!!!! Molecules at age 5? Um, lets see... in the traditional school I attended I don't think molecules were ever mentioned until I was in middle school - at least age 11!

The New Horizon Montessori School (probably all Montessori schools actually) have tools that help children learn about, are you ready for this, I'm NOT making it up, algebra, geometry and trigonometry. Yep, that's right, you read correctly. These small little beings (aged 3 - 6) are working on the foundational elements of advanced math that even at age 32 I wouldn't dream of attempting!

Argh. I hate "traditional" schools. Makes me want to scream at every molecule in the universe.

I can't wait to go back to New Horizon and visit again. My friend Maggie expressed an interest so I'm trying to set up a time when she and I can go. Aleta (who runs the school, along with her husband Carl) suggested we come, if possible, when the children are learning. I'd love that, but with work I'm afraid I'll only be able to visit on the weekends... but it's still worth it.

What an amazing experience... I wonder if Montessori children realize how fortunate they are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so awsome!!! I can't wait to visit the school!!!

Becky said...

It is, I can't wait to share it with you. You're gonna love it. It's so amazing!