Sunday, October 09, 2011

For today, and today only....

I've realized that my home life is wonderful and for that I'm happy and grateful.  However, my work life is in need of an overhaul.  I created lots of bad habits - which were VERY easy to create.  I also kept blaming everyone else for my work unhappiness.  When I finally took a step back I realized, "dang it, I AM the reason I'm unhappy."  So, armed with good friends, "The Happiness Project" book, and an attitude of "I can be just as happy at work as I am at home" I'm now in the process of fulfilling this.

My new mantra is "for today and today only".  I figure if today, and today only, I smile more, complain less, then  I just might make it happen.  If today, and today only, I do this instead of that... etc. I'll likely be more successful at accomplishing my goals.

I put this into action a couple days ago at work.  For that day, and that day only, I attempted to be helpful to everyone who approached my desk.  For the most part it worked.  I think there were a few times I wasn't as helpful as I could have been, but recognizing that and being mindful of it helped keep in check.  By the end of the day I felt much better than I typically do come clock-out time (of course it was Friday, and looking forward to the weekend was probably a factor as well).  Anyway, Saturday went well and Sunday is off to great start too.

The true test will be tomorrow, MONDAY.  But for today, and today only, I'm focusing on Sunday.  I'll worry about Monday tomorrow.

Today I'm enjoying a cat snuggled up in my lap.  A happy husband in the kitchen chopping, slicing, and dicing fruit and food to enjoy later. Two sleepy dogs napping on the couch.  Soon I'll be enjoying Game Day at a friend's house, watching football, laughing and joking, and of course drinking beer!  What a way to enjoy today, and today only.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Hello my dear friend :) This happiness project book sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I'll look for it and try it out myself. I hope you and E are doing well...From the looks and sounds of your blog it seems that you are. :)

Pamela said...

I should add, that I love the look of your blog. It is very pretty, and those cupcakes look divine. :)