Saturday, November 17, 2007

No TV, New hp, Books to Read, and LFPSDHT

The hubby has been a very good sport about my not wanting a TV in the house. And this during football season?!

I'm enjoying the quiet that comes from the absence of a TV. Bob, a local radio station similar to Jack or Earl, has become my new buddy. Bob and I hang out while I goof off on my new hp laptop. It's a small little computer that works. The "that works" part is what I'm most happy about. My previous computer just gave up and died, taking all my data with it. Oh well.

After no TV and before the new computer I spent most evenings reading. Now with Herman (that's my hp's name), I find I read less books and read more blogs and such. Not sure if that's good or bad. It's probably about the same considering I'm not reading anything of real value, just some silly little books for entertainment (John Grisham, Stuart Woods, James Patterson, and others of that kind).

The Memoris of Cleopatra by Margaet George, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, and Labyrinth by Kate Mosse are sitting on the coffee table. Maybe I'll read Celopatra next. I read The Autobigraphy of Henry VIII, also, by Margaret George and it was fantastic! I'm hoping Celopatra is every bit as fasinating, I have no reason to suspect it wouldn't be.

The hubby said we could join Bookswim.com (like Netflix, but with books) and so I should probably sign us up and save some dough. Right now I'm purchasing and reading about 4-12 books a month. Most books usually cost about $5 or more each. Bookswim, depending on which rental program I go with, would cost the same or less! And, I wouldn't be stuck with a bunch of paperbacks littering the place. Yes, I'll eventually donate the books, when I get around to it.

I know, I know, I should utilize the library. Yes, yes I should. But, I don't want to. I'd have to go to the library, find the book(s) I wanted, return them, pay fines if I forget... it's just a hassle I'd rather not deal with. I'm ashamed of this attitude, especially considering my wonderful childhood memories of walking to the library with my mom during the week and both mom and dad on Saturday (oh and my twerp brother was always apart of these adventures too. Actually, we usually got along quite well at those times. I guess books were a bridge to a new land where some pesky, pest of a brother seemed so insignificant that we'd not fight. Oh! That's why mom took us to the library all the time?!). Many, many fond recollections of the public library.

I've been to our local library, that yes, I could even walk to it, and it's quite nice for its small size. I even personally known the librarian. She's a fabulous woman, whom I admire and respect. Hmm, maybe today while the hubby's at the office I'll walk my butt over to the library and get some exercise, enjoy the uncharacteristically beautiful weather we're experiencing and hopefully see my friend.

Of course, if I were to do that I'd have to leave Herman behind. I know Herman wouldn't mind, he'd probably like the break... but I'm still having fun discovering the differences of Windows Vista and all that entails. Windows Vista is pretty groovy. So far I it's been very user friendly and easy to navigate. Some features are very intuitive, which I totally dig.

Unfortunately the little finger-print scanner do-hickey-thingy (LFPSDHT) is a pain in the @$$ and doesn't seem to like me. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'd rather just type in my password than have the LFPSDHT belch at me every 5 seconds telling me I'm too fast, try again. Try again. Try again. Try again. Screw you LFPSDHT, scan yourself. I can afford the extra 3.2 nanoseconds to type in a password. I'm not SOOOOOOOOOOO important that I NEED you! Well, that one time the LFPSDHT worked was really cool and I did feel really, really important...

2 comments:

Arnie said...

Glad to read you are back on line again. Thanks also for the comments on my blog.

Becky said...

Now that I have Herman it's easy to be back online. When I used the hubby's computer I'd have to change his settings to post a blog and while he tolerated it, I could tell he didn't like it.