Friday, November 16, 2007

Won't You Be My Neighbor

Today I had the great fortune of meeting my next door neighbor and his three young daughters (his wife was out with her gal pals, though she's very nice. She and I met in passing a couple weeks ago). As others in the neighborhood arrived home I was introduced to them as well. Three beers, two hours and one mudslide later the hubby arrived on the scene. I only partook of the mudslide since I'm not much of a beer drinker - though I'm trying to keep an open mind about this. Hey, beer pressure can be tough, I don't want to be that one lame neighbor who won't belly-up to the bar and kick one back, ya know? How un-neighborly would that be?! And poor Erik, he didn't even get one brewski, as I gave away all our Bavarian beers to our new friends - guess that means we'll have to buy more ;-)

It seems we moved into the coolest neighborhood in all of the Antelope Valley! Our neighbors actually know one another and interact on a regular basis. I'm not talking about, "Hi, nice weather we're having, huh?" I'm talking about, "Tomorrow afternoon we're hanging out at Duke's place. You should join us, bring a lawn chair." I'm talking about "Hey, you like Attack Uno?" I'm talking about some fun people who know how to have a good time. I can't wait to get to know them all.

Apparently in the winter things slow down as people tend to stay indoors. But, in the spring/summer folks sit out in their driveways with the garage door open (this provides quick and easy access to the garage fridge with the beer) just waiting for you to come over. If you don't see them sitting out, don't worry, they'll give ya call on the tele. How awesome is that?

1 comment:

Arnie said...

Having neighbors who actually know one another? Wow! That's great. btw, Jacob & Mindy send their greetings. We spoke the other day across our front yards.