Tuesday, December 16, 2008

That's Art?

I grew up in a small Midwestern town, population at the time 2,939. Football was king and art was just something everyone had to take for one quarter a school year. I loved art, maybe because I was good at it - or at least my teacher thought so - maybe because it's such a personal and expressive experience. It seems anything can be art; basketballs floating in water, a dead bird attached to a painting, a canvas painted green, just solid green. With that said, art is apparently something you can't screw up. How fantastic! Of course, getting people to take your art seriously and to pay millions for it? That's a secret for just a select few to know and the rest of us to scratch our heads about.

While walking through the various exhibits at LAMCA I saw some pieces that resembled some of my earlier attempts to paint, my very unsuccessful, early attempts. It amazed me to see a painting, of what to me appeared to be a couple of ladies enjoying afternoon tea outdoors. The setting was lovely and it included a dog, what more could I ask for? The dog of course seems to be an extortionist. He was scratching his ear with a back leg in a manner I've never seen before. I have dogs, I've watched them so some pretty unusual and some very nasty things, but never witnessed anything like in the painting (and would prefer not do, as I'm sure if my dog could do that, she would need medical attention). Oh, and, one of the women at the tea party looked as if someone had just dragged her out a river, dried her off, and plopped her on a chair. Her body was facing the tea companion across the table, but her face was squared off toward the viewer of the piece. This made the face seem distorted and bloated in a bizarre and unpleasing way.

I recall painting in high school and sometimes my work had that unfortunate look about it and I tossed it out, frustrated that I couldn't paint. And, now, 15-20 years later something similar is hanging on a museum wall?! Crazy, not my idea of art, but then again, it doesn't have to be. That's the beauty of art, it lies within each of us to determine what is or is not art. No right, no wrong, just different interpretations and levels of appreciation. I look at that distorted painting of the ladies and the dog and think, "Abomination!" while someone else may exclaim, "Brilliant!"

There were some pieces that I truly enjoyed. It was wonderful to walk about and take note of different styles and find some that resonated with me, pieces I'd actually want on my wall (if I could afford them!). I'm so grateful to have had this experience. I usually sprint through museums while my hubby could spend what seems like hours studying a single item. Thus, we don't often go to museums together. My attention span is very short, his is not. However, part of what made this trip so magical was having a third party, an informed and trained, third party to guide us. She really made this so special. Her insight, knowledge of the pieces, the artists, the installations... wow! I actually want to go back and check it out again, see other exhibits we didn't make it to.

I remember that evening feeling so alive. Like I was part of some special club because I had experienced art, had glimpsed into another world, had new viewpoints to ponder.

No comments: