Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Make Contact With Paper


Recently the hubby and I looked at several different houses in various locations scattered throughout Blount and Knox counties. Some homes were very nice, some were not. But a few houses took contact paper to the next level in ways I would never permit in my own home.

Contact paper is typically used to surface the interior shelves and drawers of one's cupboards. However, if you are creative and looking to "update" your home's interior you will not stop where the shelf or drawer ends.

One home owner had completely covered the kitchen cupboards with faux wood paneled contact paper. The cabinet framing, doors, shelves... EVERY surface had the tacky paper stuck to it. The effect was dazzling to say the least.

Another home owner used what appeared to be the exact same paper on their master bathroom floor. I do not know how long the paper had been on the floor. There was only one tear that revealed the true surface beneath. Perhaps contact paper is so durable and easy to clean that to not use as a floor covering is just plain wrong? Can that be? Is this the wave of the future?

Now if you are like me (and to quote the hubby's favorite line, "and I know I am") you are probably wondering what would posses someone to do such a thing to perfectly good cabinets and what appeared to have once been a nice floor. Yes, the kitchen cupboards were in excellent condition. The paint choice, a VERY bold yellow, may not have been the loveliest, but it was certainly better than the contact paper. The master bath floor appeared to be in good working order. Perhaps this a Southern thing a Northern like myself will never understand. All the same folks please do not, DO NOT, attempt this look in your own dwelling, especially if you are trying to sell your abode.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

That's just weird!!!!

Burt Likko said...

It's true, what she said! I saw it with my own eyes! I trod upon contact paper left on the floor by someone who apparently thought that was a good idea. What was really amazing was how much effort someone went to in order to cover everything in sight with this stuff.

Pamela said...

sick!