Saturday, April 29, 2006

Forsaken

Just because an institution may claim: "... respects both the Judeo-Christian heritage and the cultural diversity..." doesn't mean they abide by it. Especially in TN where cultural diversity consists of hanging a picture of a non-Tennessee person on the wall and professing to be open minded. Whatever.

I was placed at a prominent private school in Knoxville on Thursday and Friday as a temp. On Thursday my contact basically ignored me. On Friday my contact at the school completely forgot me. Fine, I don't care. I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to earn a paycheck.

When a job is completed I fill out a time card and have the contact person at the job site sign it. When quittin' time drew near the entire school (save 2 students) was deserted. My contact was long gone, as were all other administrative personnel. I called the temp agency and explained the situation and that I had no signed time card. My point of contact at the agency said, "Well, I'll just take care of it on Monday."

While the school may believe in "Judeo-Christian" ways I believe in being paid for work done. I want my damn paycheck you freaks. I didn't sit in a small confined space for two days listening to loud, annoying students blather on about the upcoming regatta for my own enjoyment and personal fulfillment. I didn't wait for a phone to ring so I could direct the caller to someone's voice mail just for giggles and kicks. I was there because you needed a live body and unfortunately that was me. Just hand over my $130 bucks (minus taxes) and we'll all forget this ever happened.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nothing in the Bible about being on time. Is there?

Burt Likko said...

Maybe not, but treating people like wallpaper doesn't seem like a very Christian thing to do.

Becky said...

It it can a very Christian thing to do if the person doesn't "belong" to your group and won't convert.